All images in this post were scanned and post processed using my iPhone
So I cut a very short section and put it in my Olympus OM Brasser, guessed an ASA of 400 and shot a couple of frames. I processed this in New55 R3 Monobath and found some very dark images which meant under exposure. I was also unsure of the exact temperature of the R3 which may have been a little low causing slight under development.
As you can see above, with some post work I was still able to get an image off the film. This also allowed me to identify the type of film as Ilford Pan F. This is a slow speed (50 ASA) Very Fine Grain film.
So after loading up a another cassette with a short 15exp roll I headed out with my other OM-1 for a few test shots.
I used a handheld light meter and tried to get as close to correct exposure for each shot. Although there were a few guesstimates involved as well.
Unfortunately things didn’t turn out entirely awesome.There are a couple of issues I’ve got to deal with now. Firstly I think that I may have had the R3 Monobath solution too hot. The recommended temp of 27c/80f was achieved using a water bath but I think the temp may have kept rising during the development time. There are images clearly visible on the negative but when scanning with the Lomography Smartphone Scanner the images require a great deal of exposure adjustment to have the inverted image visible.
The next issue is the vertical stripes you can see in some of the images.
This is something that I think is caused by the R3 Monobath, you can hear more about this developer you can watch the YouTube post from Matt Day in his: R3 Monobath Review
The last few issues are more to do with my own handling of the film during loading and processing. There are quite a few dust spots and water marks on the negative so I’ll need to make sure I do a better job cleaning off the negative before & after shooting.
The unknown history of the film may also play a factor. I have no idea how old the film is or how it has been stored. I’m going to shoot another roll and get it processed at CPL Digital in South Melbourne to see what kind of results we can get.
With such a slow speed, fine grain film it would be great to try some shots in the studio with strobe lighting.